I realized with updating my website, it was lacking some basic info, ya know.. like.. WHO THE HECK AM I. So let’s get into it shall we.
Hello! I’m Charis – Mama behind Mama’s Kitchen + Curls aka MK+C. I’m Mckenzie (6 years old), Zoie’s (2 years old), and Rylie (6 months old) mama. I have a passion for helping other women navigate their natural hair journey along with sharing my journey through motherhood and life along the way. I’ve been obsessed with beauty products since I was a young girl and naturally as a woman have found myself indulging in what the market has to offer especially now that there’s a space for brown girls. I hope to inspire, especially brown girls, to live out their lives as authentically as they can. Learning to navigate this world can be difficult especially without a lot of the tools that are now accessible via the handy dandy internet. I hope to to be a resource and build a place of community through sharing my stories of motherhood, being a young(er) curly girl raising two (soon to be three) brown girls with different textures and features, and bringing folks together through story and food (because who doesn’t love food). I hope you find my website to be informative, funny, and relatable. We’re all human after all just journeying through discovery.
Random Facts about Me:
- My favorite color is yellow (not the pale kind, the rich vibrant golden mustard sort of sun-kissed kind)
- My wardrobe consists of mainly grey, black, white + blush w a few yellow + navy pieces.
- I’m obsessed with matcha.
- I love cooking(and eating), learning to love baking.
- I’m basically fully pescatarian (i can’t resist a good pot roast or short rib, sorry not sorry)
- Elephants are my absolute favorite animal. I have them all over my house.
- I dropped out of college right before my senior year to have my oldest daughter and built a successful career in Property Management + Real Estate Development prior to being a full time entrepreneur/SAHM.
- My family is Jamaican.
- I’m not a huge fan of chocolate, but will tear up anything caramel.
- I’m basically the next undiscovered comedian, just ask my friends, I’m hilarious.
- I was diagnosed with lupus in 2012.
- I’ve been natural since 2010 via big chop but didn’t stop dying my hair until 2015 + now only straighten annually.
- I canNOT do a cartwheel.
- Despite my long legs and appearance via social media, I’m only 5’5.
- I love books and reading + want to eventually start a book club.
- I provide one on one curl coaching to help women on an individual basis (Youtube + Blogs can only help so much) CLICK HERE
Any questions or want to collab, send me an email: email@example.com