I managed to go through all of 2018 without straightening my hair. This wasn’t intentional, but after going through post partum shedding in addition to my lupus flaring, my hair had suffered quite a bit so my primary focus was nourishing it back to health. In the meantime I decided to start making my DIY hair oil again, but I revamped it to include oils that not only promote hair growth and shine, but also actually penetrate and nourish my hair. Below are the ingredients to my DIY hair growth oil that I use for scalp massages about 3x a week, sealing my hair during styling, and as a hot oil treatment at least 2x a month. This year I’ll be tracking my growth, so make sure you’re subscribed so you can follow along on my journey!
Hair Growth Oil Ingredients + Their Benefits:
- Macadamia oil: high in fatty acids, which aid in strengthening and nourishing hair follicles. As a result, prevents breakage and encourages growth. It also adds great shine.
- Lavender oil: promotes hair growth while also helps treat hair loss, it also helps control dandruff and calms the scalp. This oil is potent and must always be diluted/ used with carrier oil. ** you only need a few drops of this in your oil mix
- Olive oil: locks in moisture and keratin into your hair strands while also containing vitamins and fats thus nourishing the hair, tames frizz, adds shine, and removes excess sebum on the scalp to allow for hair growth.
- Rosemary oil: improves blood circulation to prevent hair loss, as well as, has anti-inflammatory properties. It also relieves dandruff, dry and itchy scalp.
- Avocado oil: one of few oils that penetrate the hair shaft to add moisture and strength to the hair, also super rich in fats. This is one of my faves and can be used as an alternative base to olive oil.
- Almond oil: has tons of vitamin E, protein and omega 3’s – it’s great for stimulating collagen, hydrating hair, and adding shine.
- Jamaican black castor oil: full of nutrients and omega fatty acids, increases blood flow to the scalp, moisturizes and encourages hair growth and thickness.
- Brahmi with a Sesame oil base: this Ayurvedic oil helps scalp circulation, and regenerate hair follicles. It strengthens scalp tissue and even aids in reducing stress and exhaustion when massaged into the scalp. The sesame oil is a carrier and helps maintain scalp health as well as promote hair growth.
- Bhringraj oil: anther Ayurvedic oil that strengthens root of hair helping to reduce hair loss, it also helps with greying hair and increases blood circulation while providing nourishment.
- Grape seed oil: helps to add shine without making your hair greasy while also full of vitamin E. It’s super light weight all while helping to seal in moisture and prevent frizz.
- Jojoba oil: rich in Zinc, Vitamins B, C, and E along with copper. It soothes your scalp, moisturizes your hair, and conditions your hair follicles and has antimicrobial properties.
There aren’t any specific measurements listed above as it tends to vary, however, I typically make olive oil my “base” (about 1/3 to ½ the bottle) and the remaining oils I try to add equal parts ranging from approximately 2-3 tablespoons. I also add more/less of oils based on what my hair likes. Play around with this combination and feel free to add or deduct oils as you see fit.
Let me know if you try this mix and your progress! Let’s grow together. If there’s oil that you love that I didn’t use, drop it below! I’m always interested in learning new oils to use and incorporate in my mix. Don’t forget to leave your email and subscribe as well so you don’t miss the next post.
Tags : best oils, diy, diy hair oil, diy hair product, hair goals, hair growth, hair growth oil, hair tips, natural hair, natural hair advice, natural hair journey, natural hair journey education, natural hair tips, oil benefits