I had to share the recipe for these cookies after making my first batch of what ended up being several in just 3 days. I mean I literally could not stop eating them. I was in a funky mood and these certainly did the trick in bringing my spirits up. If you love the taste of ginger snap cookies, but usually prefer soft chewy cookies, this recipe is for you.
**Preheat oven to 350**
INGREDIENTS: makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter – room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup finely chopped crystallized or candied ginger
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup dried or candied mango (optional – can sub for other dried fruits like apricot or peach or even raisins)
- Powdered or sanding sugar to dust on top (optional)
** for stronger ginger flavor – increase ground ginger by ½ to 1 tablespoon or fresh ginger by 1-2 tablespoons
- In 1 bowl, mix flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In 2nd bowl mix butter and sugar until fluffy – easiest to do with a mixer
- Add in egg to Butter/sugar mix, then slowly mix in molasses, candied ginger, and fresh ginger.
- Mix Bowl 1 with Bowl 2 slowly to avoid clumps of flower. If using mango or other dried fruit add in last. Your dough should be smooth and stiff. If loose, place in fridge to set for a few minutes.
- Scoop approx. 2-3 tablespoons of dough and round in your palms.
- Place cookies on baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes TOPS.
- **cookies will be slightly gooey – remove parchment paper with cookies from baking sheet and place on a cool surface. This allows them to stop cooking + remain chewy. If you like crunchy- ginger snappy cookies, you can bake for longer.
- Top with sugar and ENJOY!
These cookies are perfect to bring to Thanksgiving or Holiday gathering or just eat to get yourself out of a funk. Send me pictures or drop comment below on how yours turned out.
Tags : baker, baking, cheap recipes, cookie, cookies, dessert, diy, food, ginger, ginger snap, good food, holiday, holiday treats, home chef, home made, quick bake, quick recipe, recipe, treats, yummy